Canon 90D: A Crop DSLR with 4K Video and 32MP Photos for Dental Photography
If you’re looking for a new DSLR for your dental work, the time has come
The Canon EOS 90D is out now! After weeks of rumors, we can finally reveal all the details.
What do we get? Quite a lot. A brand new 32.5-megapixel sensor with more resolution than any other APS-C camera and uncropped 4K video for the first time in Canon’s APS-C camera range, as well as 10fps continuous shooting (11fps in Live View).
According to Canon, the EOS 90D is built on the design of the EOS 80D, with a familiar body and a large grip for better balance and handling with larger lenses. You will also find twin multi-function dials, including one newly-created multi-controller on the back, lifted from already known Canon’s pro DSLRs. The EOS 80D was one of the Canon’s best-sellers and favourite camera of dental photographers, so this feature looks great.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF system makes the EOS 90D as fast and as flexible as any mirrorless camera. What’s more to check is if its accuracy will help with focusing on objects with lower contrast, like teeth.
Canon EOS 90D: who should buy it?
In our opinion this DSLR is one of the best choices for anyone who values quality. It will make a good choice for the beginners in dental photography, but the experienced ones should be satisfied, too. The EOS 90D, with its features and price, is as good as a full-frame camera, even with its smaller sensor.
The most important features of Canon EOS 90D are:
- Newly Developed 32.5 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor with no loss of image quality or increased noise levels
- 10/11fps continuous shooting with AF and AE (11 fps in live view)
- DIGIC 8 Processor for enhanced image quality and performance
- New 8-way multi-controller/joystick in addition to previous 8-way multi-controller
- 45-point all cross-type AF system with up to 27 f/8-sensitive AF points and new Single-point Spot AF available in both conventional and Dual Pixel AF
- Live view featuring ultra-low-light EV -5 AF (EV -2.5 in 4k video recording and EV -3 in Full HD)
- 4K UHD video at 30p/25p, uncropped or cropped (for a narrower angle of view from same focal lengths)
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 5,481 selectable AF points and eye detection/tracking including in servo mode for both stills and video
- ISO 100-25600, H(51200)
- Large, intelligent viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capability for easy/auto transfer of images and movies to compatible smart devices
- Touch screen vari angle 3.0″ (77mm) 3:2 Clear View II TFT, approx. 1040K dots
- New 220K pixel RGB + IR metering that now includes EOS iTR AF with face detection
- Flicker Mode adjusts shutter release timing to avoid flickering light issues
- Combination of sealing materials and high-precision parts for a dust-proof and drip-proof design
- Comfortable operability with full-size grip and adequate controls
- High-end mechanical shutter mechanism provides speeds up to 1/8000 with the electronic shutter enabling 1/16000
- 1300-shot battery life
- Battery grip BG-E14 optionally available for 2,590-shot battery life rating
Here are comparison tables featuring many current and recent EOS models:
Canon EOS 90D availability and price
Good news: The price isn’t so fantastic, though: it comes for $1199.00 body-only. But when it comes to high quality, money is no object, right?